Monday, August 17, 2009

Third Eye Blind Countdown: #2

Moving this weekend kind of threw off the time table for this countdown, so even though the new album comes out TODAY (and will soon be in my possession), I'm not going to just leave you hanging. I'll reveal number two right now, and then number one sometime a little later in the day.

Once again, here's what you've been missing:

Monday - Honorable Mentions
Tuesday - #10 (Palm Reader), #9 (My Hit and Run)
Wednesday - #8 (Deep Inside of You), #7 (Narcolepsy)
Thursday - #6 (Can't Get Away), #5 (I Want You)
Friday - #4 (Crystal Baller), #3 (Semi-Charmed Life)


#2: Motorcycle Drive-by

"Visions of you on a motorcycle drive-by,
the cigarette ash flies in your eyes and you don't mind.
You smile,
and say the world it doesn't fit with you.
I don't believe you,
you're so serene,
careening through the universe, your axis on a tilt.
You're guiltless and free,
I hope you take a piece of me with you.

And there are things I would like to do that you don't believe in.
I would like to build something, but you'd never see it happen.

And there's this burning,
like there's always been.
I've never been so alone, and I've, I've never been so alive.

And there's this burning, there is this burning.

Where's the soul?
I want to know.
New York City is evil.
The surface is everything,
but I could never do that.
Someone would see through that.
And this is the last time, we'll be friends again.
I'll get over you, you'll wonder who I am.

And there's this burning,
just like there's always been.
I've never been so alone, alone, and I've, and I've,
I've never been so alive."


Probably my favorite 3EB song. It's so beautiful, and they do a great job of contrasting the sweet, serene, being-in-love-and-everything-is-perfect part of the song with the impulsive and angry-sounding lyrics in the bridge as that love falls apart. The music also does a great job of reflecting those parts of the song. Oh, and there's the line about New York City being evil, I love that.

No comments:

Post a Comment