Friday, August 14, 2009

Third Eye Blind Countdown: #4 and #3

We are nearing the end of my Top 10 countdown of the best lyrics ever sung by Third Eye Blind. Who knows, this list might be completely different by next Tuesday, the day after Ursa Major (their 4th studio album) is finally released.

If you're a late-comer to the countdown, here's what you've missed:


Monday - Honorable Mentions
Tuesday - #10 (Palm Reader), #9 (My Hit and Run)
Wednesday - #8 (Deep Inside of You), #7 (Narcolepsy)
Thursday - #6 (Can't Get Away), #5 (I Want You)

Today, two more will be unveiled, leaving just two songs to go. Number two will be announced tomorrow, but you'll have to wait until Sunday for number one.

Oh, and what I said in yesterday's post about there being songs left from each of 3EB's three albums.....that was a total lie. My bad. There are no more songs from "Blue".

#4 - Crystal Baller:

"I wonder where we're all going.
I'm homesick for your primal knowing.
I wonder why the wind keeps blowing you through my mind.

Try and take the high road.
Remember, we were friends.
I want to be your crystal baller.
I want to be your diamond ring,
the one I never gave you,
and the promise that it brings.
Let me be your crystal baller,
I will show you everything."


Maybe you didn't know (that's why I'm here), but the song is about Charlize Theron. Stephen Jenkins and her dated for a long time, but she broke up with him when he said he wasn't ready to get married. Hence, the line about the diamond ring he never gave her, and the promise it brings. Actually, a good part of "Out of the Vein" is about her, including (in my opinion) "Palm Reader", "Can't Get Away", "Forget Myself", "Good Man", and "Blinded".


#3 - Semi-Charmed Life:

"I believe in the sand beneath my toes,
the beach gives a feeling, an earthy feeling,
I believe in the faith that grows,
and the four right cords can make me cry,
when I'm with you, I feel like I could die and it would be alright."


Lots of good lines in this song (Jenkins once called it the "happy little song with dirty words"), and of course the chorus has to be one of the best ever written in terms of sing-a-long-a-bility. But these lines are the heart of the song, the moment where the singer is being true and stepping outside the world of sex and drugs (literally the semi-charmed life he's leading) to find that "something more" in a confession of the little things that mean the most: the beach, a belief in something, music, and love.

No comments:

Post a Comment