Thursday, August 13, 2009

Third Eye Blind Countdown: #6 and #5

All week, I'm counting down my Top 10 favorite lyrics from Third Eye Blind. Their new album, Ursa Major, is coming out on Monday.

Monday - Honorable Mentions
Tuesday - #10 (Palm Reader), #9 (My Hit and Run)
Wednesday - #8 (Deep Inside of You), #7 (Narcolepsy)

Today, we crack into the top five. So without further ado:

#6: Can't Get Away

"Our jeep gets busted on a blown out road,
and I'm a tourist with a real light load,
and will the government hold another month away,
these messed up places where we always stay,
wonderin' how we always pick these spots,
feeling like a have in the land of the have-nots,
sleeping on cots,
wishing that I had some Tater Tots.

And there's postcards written I know I'll never send,
the moment is gone and won't come again.
I ride with souls who find no peace,
still I look to you to find release."


The reference to Tater-Tots makes this a Top 10 lyric on its own, but the rest of the lines are pretty good too, and the delivery is really cool too. Also, I love the "postcards written I know I'll never send" line, because I have done that exact same thing. Then I'll come across them later and realize it makes no sense to send them because, well, the moment is gone and won't come again.


#5: I Want You

"An open invitation to the dance,
happenstance set the vibe that we're in,
no apology because my urge is genuine,
and the mystery of your rhythm is so feminine.
Here I am and I want to take a hit of your scene 'cause you bit so deep into my soul.
I want you."


Just classic Stephen Jenkins here. The use of "happenstance" is awesome, and the words just convey such a sexy scene. He's not messing around, and he's not going to apologize, he just wants you.

The countdown is moving towards its conclusion. There is still at least one song from each of the three albums to come. And, of course, only 4 days until Ursa Major.

No comments:

Post a Comment