Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Third Eye Blind Countdown: #8 and #7

All week I'm counting down the Top 10 best lyrics from Third Eye Blind, in anticipation of their new album, Ursa Major, coming out August 18th.

On Monday I listed a few "honorable mention" lyrics, and yesterday the countdown began with number ten and number nine.

Today, we move onward with number eight and number seven on the countdown


#8: Deep Inside of You

"I never felt alone,
until I met you.
I'm alright on my own,
but then I met you,
and I'd know what to do if I just knew what's coming.

I would change myself if I could,
I would walk with my people if I could find them,
and I'd say I'm sorry to you,
I'm sorry to you.
And I don't want to call you, but then I want to call you,
because I don't want to crush you, but then I feel like crushing you.
I breathe by your looks and you look right through me.

We were broke and didn't know."


Definitely one of their more angsty songs, but they manage to keep it poetically angsty. This is the only song from Blue, their second album, that will appear in the countdown.



#7: Narcolepsy

"I read dead Russian authors volumes at a time,
I write everything down except what's on my mind,
'cause my greatest fear is the sucking sound,
and then I know I'll never get back out.

And there's a bone in my hand that connects to a drink,
in a crowded room with the glasses clink,
and I'll buy you a beer and we'll drink it deep,
because that keeps me from falling asleep."


I love these lines because you really feel the urgency of the scene - its one long run-on sentence - because he is trying to squeeze in as much as possible before his narcolepsy strikes again. One of the members of the band actually did suffer from narcolepsy for a little while, supposedly, and the guitar rift in the song is what it felt like to him.

Tomorrow - #6 and #5.

No comments:

Post a Comment