Saturday, September 19, 2009

Sometimes the government is okay

I dislike having to admit that government regulation of business is ever a good thing, but in rare instances it does put a smile on my face.

One of those rare instances might be happening on Monday at the Brookings Institute, when FCC chairman Julius Genachowski might announce new rules that will guarantee net neutrality.

As a general consumer of the Internet, I'm very much in favor of net neutrality, which means that all content on the 'net has to be treated equally by ISPs. In other words, Internet Providers cannot make certain streams of information faster than others. Of course, I would rather see consumer choice and the free market force net neutrality to be a reality, but in case I'm going to be willing to accept the government's intrusion.

Generally, I strongly dislike the FCC, because they do a lot to restrict free speech and free business practices, but this is a perfect example of the right way for government to act in a limited way on a necessary issue. I'm a libertarian, not an anarchist.

No comments:

Post a Comment